About Breakaway Policy Strategies
What Is Breakaway Policy Strategies?
Breakaway is a health policy firm that provides research, analysis, practical advice and strategic solutions to a wide range of health care stakeholders. Breakaway's health care experts offer creative, sophisticated guidance to help hospitals, health plans, physicians, employers, consumers, patients, government agencies, biopharmaceutical and device companies, foundations and investors successfully navigate the transformative changes taking place in the American health care system.
How is Breakaway different?
The team is the heart of Breakaway's approach. We believe that it takes a team of savvy, high-level experts with experience in multiple industry sectors and multiple health policy disciplines to assist stakeholders in charting their own path to success. Our team not only understands the component parts of our complex health care system, but also how they fit together. We grasp the policy details, but also understand the political system in which policy decisions are made. And we know the policymakers make them.
We launched the firm in 2013 for a reason. We are in the middle of a massive transformation of the American health care system. Today's decisions will shape the future of health care services for generations to come. Fundamental changes to health care payment, delivery and corporate structures are underway across the nation. State and federal policymakers are issuing dozens of regulations and making thousands of decisions. It is critical that health care organizations understand and are prepared to respond to these changes. In many cases, this will determine whether companies thrive, or merely survive.
Some of the seismic and simultaneous shifts in the health care system that stakeholders must be poised to respond to include:
- New health insurance markets and market rules, including exchanges established in every state, individual requirements to purchase coverage, rating and pricing limitations, patient protections, fees and assessments, and market regulations.
- New taxes and coverage requirements for employers.
- New federal tax subsidies for private insurance purchasing and Medicaid program expansion decisions.
- Medicare program payment changes and demonstration programs that pressure provider margins and usher in a new era of reimbursement based on efficiency and outcomes rather than service volume.
- Dramatic increases in provider and insurer consolidation affecting prices, economies of scale and negotiation power.
- Physician and hospital incentives and penalties to adopt health information technology meaningful use and quality reporting requirements.
- Additional health care cost containment and entitlement program restructuring initiatives driven by the imperative to reduce federal and state budget deficits.
Who We Are.
At Breakaway, we help clients navigate this changing and challenging landscape. We are 100 percent health care focused. We are fiercely bipartisan. We have spent years working in government and with the health care industry. Our team has extensive political experience and policy expertise. We understand the value of a collaborative, team-based approach.
Whether you are a health care company working to ensure the success of your organization, an institutional investor or private equity company looking to maximize your investments, a business needing tools to navigate health reform, or a non-profit foundation seeking to drive change, you need to make decisions based on the most accurate and up-to-date information. Like never before, you must understand health policy decisions and the political environment that shapes them. And you need advisors who can help you understand where things are going.
Breakaway Policy Strategies. Research. Relationships. Results. We can help you reach your goals.